- The power of tax deferral works toward producing larger retirement assets. Use this calculator to see the difference tax-deferral can mean for you.
- You gain control over when your earnings become taxable.
- Generally, you have no upfront sales charges.
- Annuities can provide a death benefit to guarantee your heirs your principal and can provide guaranteed future income for current owners. (Guarantees are based on the claims-paying ability of the issuing insurance company, and additional charges may apply for some contract features.)
- Annuities can provide guaranteed lifetime monthly income for one or two lives.
- Fixed Annuities - In a fixed annuity, funds are invested for a guaranteed interest rate for a fixed number of years. Interest may accumulate or be withdrawn as needed, paying taxes only on the amount withdrawn. Typical terms range from one to ten years.
- Fixed Index Annuities - Interest credited to a fixed index annuity is linked to the performance of a stock market index. However, your participation in any gain experienced by the index will be limited to the percentage of the gain set by the insurance company. This limits your upside earning potential, while the insurance company helps to protect your principal in negative markets through a minimum guaranteed contract value.
- Variable Annuities - With a variable annuity, funds are invested in a professionally managed portfolio of stocks, bonds, or both, depending on your selection. Returns vary depending on the performance of the portfolio. Earnings may be withdrawn as needed, paying taxes only on the amount withdrawn. Many of the portfolio managers are the same as today's most popular mutual funds. Variable annuities also offer an optional guaranteed future income payment regardless of the contract's subaccount performance. Variable annuities also offer guaranteed death benefits that guarantee your beneficiary at least the amount paid, or more, regardless of the portfolio's return. Since the living and death benefit guarantees are based on the claims-paying ability of the issuing insurance company, it is important to choose a financially secure insurance company.
- Immediate Annuity - An immediate annuity generates guaranteed income as soon as it is purchased and for a set number of years or for one or two lives. Immediate annuities can be either fixed or variable.